Thursday, February 7, 2013

Things that I Hate this Week

Song:

Scripture:

Psalms 139:22 “ I hate them with perfect hatred: I count them mine enemies.”

Pictures and Stories:

Enough with the Niceties.  Bring on the nasty!

IMG_8425

1.  I hate this area of my house.  It’s that one place where my stuff without a home lands.  I can see it from my bed and it makes me mad.  Clean yourself up, stupid flat surface.  You’re a mess.

hitler

2.  Hitler.  Not One Direction, I don’t know why Hitler’s face is on this photo.  But I really hate Hitler this week.  I’m reading a most fascinating book called Under the Wings of the Almighty by Walter Rohloff.  Walter was a German soldier in WW2.  What’s that you say?  A German soldier?  Weren’t they all Nazi’s?  Walter wasn’t, but he was drafted into Hitler’s army to fight for Germany.  Walter is also an active Latter Day Saint.  I have long lumped Germans into a big “If you made it through WW2 then you must have helped Hitler somehow” group, but this book presents a completely unique perspective.  For the first time I’m reading about German soldiers in foxholes on the Russian front and hoping that they don’t die.  I’ve never approached WW2 this way and it is enlightening.  Walter’s story is nothing short of amazing and inspiring – he got shot, he was in a POW camp, his dad was captured by the Russians, he was harassed by the SS.  He now lives in Bountiful Utah I believe.  Here’s a link to an article about him: LDS author Recounts Life in Nazi Germany.  You should buy and read his book, but the only way to get your hands on it is by emailing him or calling him.  Isn’t that adorable?  To buy it, call Rohloff at 801-292-1969 or email him at wkarohloff@aol.com.  
Read more: The Davis Clipper - LDS author recounts life in Nazi Germany

Anyway, I hate Hitler for fighting a losing war when he knew they were going to lose and carelessly sending soldiers to their deaths.  Hitler, you’re such a bastard.

070

3.  Packing tents.  It’s intense.  My kids had colds last week and so I set up our giant tent in their room as a humidity Vicks Vaporub tent.  When I was repacking it I got it all zipped up, just barely, sitting on it to make it fit.  And then I turned around to see the stupid cover.  Who in the world makes the tent bags so small?  They should be sacked.  Would it have killed them to make it just a little bit larger?

 117 155 694

4.  Fuzzy camera shots.  I HATE these.  Above is an amazing impromptu whole family dance party, immortalized in fuzzy.  Below is that one day I actually looked like a grown up at preschool pick up.  Hold the camera still and frame the darn picture. Get your fingers out of the way.  Click the button three times to get at least one good shot.  Learn the rules. (I don’t care if you’re five, Mimi. ;)

699

5.  These shorts.  They look like tan shorts with an old fashioned menstrual belt.

6.  Glenn Beck.  He is a fearmongering jerk.  I do, however, love this clip of him being blissfully unaware that he is describing his own style of commentary.  Do you have to be LDS?  You’re embarrassing me.

image

7.  These people.  I had a lot of this on NORTORIOUS.  It was always hilarious when someone got their panties in a bunch thinking I was writing about them.  If I’m writing about you I promise to ask your permission. 

image

8.  People in cheesy love.  Not people in real love, I love them.  But saccharine BS, no.  You bug me.  Bad time for hating this as Valentine’s Day is just around the corner.  I like funny love and deep long non-demonstrative love and straight up “I love you, that’s how it is” kinda love.  But “He asked and she said yes” generic nonsense?  Annoying.

image

9.  Chevrons.  Yeah, I said it.  I try to like Chevrons but my eyes can’t focus looking at them and they make me dizzy.  They’re like an optical illusion that I don’t get.

 

image

image

10.  Weeping Angels.  So there’s the episode of Dr. Who wherein they run into hundreds of Weeping Angels statues.  When you blink they move and try to kill you.  They’re terrifying and I hate them.  Ask me how many times I have seen a weeping angel picture and had a staring contest, then closed one eye at a time to rest it.  The answer is all the time.  Don’t blink?  I have to blink.  Curse you Weeping Angels.

2 comments:

  1. We have a corner in my kitchen that all the stuff without a home lands...we call it, "The Corner of Doom". There are things that really belong there...but everything else migrates there, too...a common phrase in our house is, "Did you check the corner of doom?" when something is missing.

    I agree about the tent thing. There are too many campouts in my life where somebody comes home with a tent stuffed into a duffel bag or backpack.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ditto to all of this. I have that Chevron skirt all have and I try, but it is eye-bugging. I do not get chalk board writing in pics. Please explain.

    --cat

    ReplyDelete