Friday, February 8, 2013

Paralysis of Choice

Song:
Scripture:
3 Nephi 6:8  And there were many highways cast up, and many roads made, which led from city to city, and from land to land, and from place to place.

Picture:
I can't even successfully pick one ice cream flavor.

Story:
Last fall I applied to law schools.  I'm starting to hear back from them and my options are opening up.  It's giving me paralysis of choice.  You know how it is when you have a million possibilities in front of you and each one looks good in it's own way?  That's paralysis of choice.  It's a privileged problem, but one that I'm facing.

Should I go to law school?  If so, which one?  Can I actually raise three kids by myself and put myself through school?  If I CAN do it, do I want to?  Is this the best long term choice?  Should I wait a few years until my kids are in school?  How is this going to effect the possibility of having more babies?  Do I actually want to do law work?  Should I stay and teach college next year or pursue a different profession?  What are my motives for going?  Is it worth leaving my kids with child care?  Will it make me a better parent or worse?  Should I move my whole family to LA or Utah or the east coast?  Why would I ever intentionally leave my current perfect town?  How am I going to set up a whole new environment for us including community and schools? 

I'm seriously about to grab strangers on the street by the lapels and ask them what to do.  Somebody make these impossible decisions for me.  Or better yet, God please send me an email telling me exactly what to do.  Are you there God?  It's me, Nor.  Tell me what to do! XOXO.

4 comments:

  1. YAY!!!!! YAY for getting in. That's all that matters. YOU DID IT!!!

    And everyone already told you on your other ls blog at how awful law school is and it's cons. So, now you get to decide.

    Agency is a B sometimes.

    --cat

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it all depends on where you decide to go (or not go). Some schools have really excellent debt forgiveness programs if you meet certain standards after graduation. That would be my main concern. We are starting to pay our $125,000 school loans off. Not so much fun, but it was our choice and has seemed so far to pay off.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you need to ask yourself if you will enjoy practicing law, the day in day out job tasks. You know lots of lawyers. Are they happy? Everyone I know in corporate law is not happy. There is no work life balance.

    But public defenders seem to be happy. My friend is an immigration and family law practice lawyer. She even loves the family law because she only represents clients that she can make things better for the children. She says her goal is to reach settlements where both parents can walk down the aisle with their child without hating each other.

    People who practice environmental law seem happy. My uncle is an entertainment lawyer and he is happy. I know a happy lawyer at the Disney Companies.

    You are definitely smart enough to get through law school and raise wonderful kids. You are smarter than most of the people I know (and I know a lot of smart people from my years in tech.) You can do anything you want, that you set your mind to.

    But will you be happier in the long run teaching? I've read your posts about teaching and you seem to love it. You influence young minds. How rewarding is that?!

    ReplyDelete